Wednesday, September 10, 2008

YA Fiction


The Alchemist by Michael Stott


The Alchemyst, Nicholas Flamel is still alive, his tomb lies empty -- and ready to exploit this is Michael Stott, author of -- well, The Alchemyst.

He does it well.

Josh works in Nick Flemming - sorry Nicholas Flamel's bookstore, his sister Sophie works across the road. It's something they only discover when John Dee, another character out of the past comes to steal the book that contains the secret of eternal life.

It's fast paced fantasy, and once started the story rolls onward with a breathlessness that doesn't stop. No seriously it doesn't stop - it just leaves you on a cliff-hanger so you can't wait to read the next book.

It's not the best book in the world, and doesn't hold a candle to "The Mysterious Edge of the Heroic World" or "Verdigris Deep" at least not in terms of stylish writing, but in plot and knowing his market Michael Stott has done a superb job.

I found it fun, and so did Richard, once he got past the information about the famous historical figures and got into the plot. Recommended for about 12-13+

3 comments:

Jill said...

I recently read this one and enjoyed it, too. You are right about the cliffhanger ending! I was happy I'd waited to read it until the second one came out. :-)

valentina said...

Totally agree about the writing bit. And I'm particularly glad you mentioned Verdigris Deep because I loved its style. Weird but ultimately compelling and truly creepy.

Jill said...

I loved Mysterious Edge, but I haven't heard of Verdigris Deep - if you are both talking it up, I'll have to put it on my list! Thanks! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails