Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Review by Joanna Ponder

The book rep told us, 'you've got to read this, we're really excited about it and it's your cup of tea!'

Cup of tea? Breakfast, lunch and dinner more like. I loved it, I didn't want to finish it. I'm still think about the wonderful mix of history and humanity, and all delivered through exquisite letters that work to form a whole story you can't forget.

Set in Guernsey just after the second world war, the book deals with the German occupation of the Channel Island. Juliet Ashton wjho lives in Chelsea is a writer of witty columns and has just had a book published and is about to set forth on a promotional tour. She starts receiving letters from members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society who admire her work. They come to reveal the personal stories of a range of fascinating characters who belong to the society. And her own story becomes part of their story.

It is a heart-warming and moving tale. Sweet and funny. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't like it. Perfect for gifts for mothers and mothers-in-law! I think I'll make a cup of tea and read it again.

1 comment:

Mary McCallum said...

Love the post, Joanna, and Alicia's earlier in the week. Both books I must read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails